Here are some resources to help with assessment and intervention for adolescents in middle and high school.
Great book to use for fluency assessments.
Here are some resources for assessing phonics skills.
The QRI 5 is a good resource for assessment.
Must have book for reading assessment.
This website has some great strategies to help adolescents improve literacy skills.
Here are some suggestions for places to find easier texts on the internet:
- https://student.societyforscience.org (Science, History)
- www.newsela.com (free, all subjects)
- www.readinga-z.com (free trial, all subjects)
- www.learninga-z.com (free trial, sciencea-z here)
- www.timeforkids.com (Science, History, English)
- www.kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/ (History, Science)
- www.bet.com (short, fun news or health trends)
- www.readworks.org (all subjects, best for English)
- www.lexile.com (all subjects, book searches)
- www.lupoknowswhattoread.blogspot.com (fiction, YA)
Improving First Instruction
Vocabulary Their Way is a great book for content area teachers.
Comprehensivereadingsolutions.org has some wonderful professional development opportunities.
Check out my previous blog on SERP and the wonderful FREE vocabulary and writing products they produce.